Monday 6 April 2015

.Lane Raglan.

I'm still in a sewing slump. I'm finding it hard to settle into my new sewing area and have been working on a few new patterns, but not feeling like I am making great progress with any of them. In past experience, the best thing to do when I'm not feeling enthused by any of my sewing projects is to let them go for a little while and get stuck into something "just for fun" - so I did just that! 

Our weather has really started to turn, we are still getting some warm days but there is a chill in the air that is hinting towards Winter and for some reason, cold weather sewing is my favourite. I like making snuggly clothes that will keep me (or the kids) warm and cosy and prefer buying winter-weight fabric over lightweight.

So I flicked through my pile of unsewn sewing patterns (yes, I have a big collection of patterns I have never used too!) and decided to give the Lane Raglan by Hey Juen a turn. I remember seeing a few Raglans sewn by Kelly of Cut Cut Sew (here, here, here) in the past and they are exactly what I feel like wearing at the moment. Comfortable, casual and perfect to wear day after day.
I would usually sew a size small in a top like this, but I didn't want my raglan to be a fitted tee, more like a slouchy sweater, so I cut out a medium instead. Perfect fit for the look I was after. This is such a versatile pattern and really well written. With just a few little changes you can achieve a different look every time you sew it. By sizing up or down you can get a more snug or loose fit. And the type of knit fabric you use changes the look completely too.
I wanted my raglan to be like a jumper - soft, loose and baggy and used a hoarded french terry knit I bought awhile ago from Ixat. It is the best fabric - a light marle grey with red/blue/purple specks all over it. It isn't too thick and is really soft and squishy and just lovely to wear. I purchased 2 yards so still have plenty left over but wish I had bought more now because I will use it for everything! I also bought the same fabric but with a black background and multi-coloured specks that I'm hanging out to use too now.
I know this jumper is really going to get a workout this Winter - I have already worn it more days than not since I made it and finally managed to wash it over the weekend ready to wear again and again and again! And yes, I've since made another raglan and have been wearing that one on the other days!

2 comments:

Jane said...

Love it - and want that fabric too!! Look at your big little boy now!

Jane from Lil Pip said...

Looks awesome Toni - and love that you can't manage a photo alone!! Typical mum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails