Tuesday 18 September 2007

the quest for the perfect kiss biscuit...

i LOVE kiss biscuits...the kind you get from the old lady at the local market or thew homemade ones inthe glass jars at little bakeries.

but i have never made them myself, so tonight i thought i would have a go. the first hurdle was finding a recipe...couldn't find any on the internet or in my cookbooks - until i resorted to the good old central cookery book! i thought would be the perfect place to find an old lady recipe!! they looked like they were going to turn out, but they just aren't right and now i am sad! the biscuits are too soft and puffy and they just don't taste as good as the old lady's do.

so...this has started my quest for the perfect kiss biscuit - PLEASE if you have a good recipe or know someone who has a good recipe let me know! i am determined to make the perfect batch of kiss biscuits. leave me a comment or email me: tonicoward (at) aapt.net.au

they look good...but just don't taste right!!!

4 comments:

The Kings said...

Sorry Tone - don't have a recipe but if you do get one make sure you post it so we can all have a go at it! :) They do look nice though.

Anonymous said...

Hey Toni,
My mum and Dad make really nice kiss biscuits...yes combined effort =) Well i love them anyway but you know how you get used to things and your mum's recipes are always good. I'll get her to email me the recipe and i'll send it to you. Again they might not be what you want but worth a try. Kristy x

Anonymous said...

225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
1 tspn vanilla extract
1 egg
450g plain flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 tbspn (20ml) cornflour
your favourite jam
icing sugar
100s and 1000s

Preheat oven to 180*C (160 FF) and line trays with baking paper. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla till light and airy. The mixture will look light in colour too. Beat in the egg, then sift in the flours and baking powder. Mix well to make a sticky, then not so sticky, dough. I usually use my hand, it's easier. Then you may need to refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes or so.
Cut the dough into quarters and work with one piece at a time. Roll out on a floured surface until about 3mm thick and cut out shapes with a floured biscuit cutter. Then knead the leftovers together with a fresh quarter of dough. Place on the tray, they will spread a little, and bake for 12 minutes. I usually swap and reverse the trays after 6 minutes. The biscuits should be golden brown un the bottom. They cool very quickly, so you can mix the icing sugar and water to make icing while you wait. Ice a biscuit, add 100s and 1000s by pressing it into a plate of the colourful spheres. Spread a base biscuit with jam and then join the two together.

Anonymous said...

Hi Toni,
I have my great grandmother's recipe for kiss biscuits and I think they are the best. I make them every Christmas. It makes a really firm dough that you roll out and cut shapes from. I'll write the recipe out for you and drop it in sometime :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails