This project happened about a month ago and I forgot to post about it!
Our dining chairs were covered with a navy blue velvet-y fabric. They actually weren't too bad except navy blue isn't my colour. And kids + fabric-covered dining chairs = food mushed into the fabric and too hard to keep clean.
Having had no previous experience with oilcloth, I didn't really have a clue what I was buying but hoped that it would work!
Here is one of the chairs before:
We decided at 10pm one Saturday evening to cover the chairs, hence no time for a decent photo!
And the finished chair:
Thee oilcloth was really easy to work with. It was a lot thinner than I had expected. I bought a cheapo staple gun at the hardware store and it worked fine. The only problem was that the oilcloth has no stretch so it was tricky to get the corners perfectly smooth and we had to resort to a bit of folding and tucking instead.
Its sad, but I get a little excited when the kids drop messy food onto the chairs now because they are SO easy to wipe clean!
We decided to go with the red oilcloth to match some features in the new kitchen. Oh yeah, I still haven't blogged indoor photos of the house yet! I'm about to go on a cleaning spree now and hopefully it will stay clean enough to take some pics!!
Paradise Lace Oilcloth in Red purchased from here.