Thursday 7 April 2011

.Lace Belt Tutorial.

Luvinthemommyhood has done it again!  Shannon is the star of finding the best of the best and this year she is running another Versus challenge...Comfy Sews Vs. Cosy Knits!  I'm thrilled to be sharing a tutorial as part of the challenge - if you are visiting from Luvinthemommyhood for the first time, then welcome!  Hope you enjoy the tutorial :) 
P.S. Head over to Luvinthemommyhood to enter a giveaway for 3 Make It Perfect patterns and grab a Citrus pOp discount code!

Hi guys!  I'm in the Versus ring today - I don't think I need to tell you that I'm fighting for the sewers!  I do love a quick sewing project - especially something that I can start AND finish when the kids have gone to bed all ready to wear the next morning.  
As much as I do love sewing though, I  have to admit that I am fond of a bit of knitting and crochet (I said fond of, not good at!) at the moment I am working on a super cute crocheted bag but it won't be finished any time soon!
If you are looking for a sewing project that you can finish quickly though - like in half an hour - then keep reading for my Lace Belt Tutorial... 
I have a great love for doilies, lace, vintage linens and when I was thinking of a quick and easy tutorial for Versus, I knew that I needed to work with this love...
We are heading into winter here in Australia - which means the jeans have started to make an appearance again.  I wear a lot of plain tops with jeans and sometimes feel like I need something extra to "pretty it up" a bit - enter the Lace Belt!  Perfect for adding a pretty detail to a basic outfit.  The Lace belt is also reversible with a strip of patterned fabric decorating the reverse side!  You can adjust the length to suit your size - or make it a bit shorter if you like wearing your belt higher.  The width can easily be adjusted too depending on the width of your lace trim.

To make a 1 1/2" wide x 42" long Lace Belt you will need:
One 3" x 44" strip of plain fabric
One 2" x 44" strip of patterned fabric
One 1 1/2" x 44" strip of mid-weight interfacing (I used Shapewell)
One 44" length of 1 1/2" wide lace trim
Two 1 1/2" wide D-rings
(Note: if you want your belt longer or shorter, cut your strips of fabric longer or shorter - you might have to join fabric if your strip is not long enough.)
Step 1.  Take your strip of plain fabric and fold it in half with wrong sides facing.  Lightly press crease down the middle of the strip.
Step 2.  Open out fold and use the crease down the center of the strip as a guide to fold both long raw edges of the fabric in toward the center fold.  Press.

Step 3.  Repeat steps 1 and 2 using patterned strip of fabric.  (In the photo below I used a bias binding maker for this strip of fabric...you will need size 22mm bias binding maker for the 2" wide strip.)

Step 4.  Take the plain strip and open folded edges.  Place the strip of interfacing onto the wrong side of the center of the strip.

Step 5.  Re-fold plain strip so that interfacing is enclosed.

Step 6.  With the wrong sides of the plain and patterned strips facing, pin the patterned strip to the plain strip.  Make sure that the patterned strip is even and centered over the plain strip.

Step 7.  Sew strips together by stitching about 1/8" from the edge of one side of the patterned strip.

Step 8.  Sew 1/8" from the edge the opposite side of the patterned strip.

Step 9.  Turn belt over so that plain fabric is facing up.  Lay the lace trim on top of the belt and pin into place.

Step 10.  Sew lace trim to the belt by stitching close to each long edge of the trim.

Step 11.  Slip D-rings onto one end of the belt so that flat edges of the D-rings are sitting on the patterned side of the belt.

Step 12.  Fold raw edge of the belt under 1/4" and then fold over D-rings about 1/2".  Pin into place.

Step 13.  Sew across the folded edge of the belt as close to the D-rings as you can get.  You might find it easier to use a zipper foot on your sewing machine to get the stitching close to the D-Rings.

Step 14.  Hem the other end of your belt by folding raw edge under 1/4".  The fold under another 1/2" and sew down.

And you are done!  A super quick and easy sewing project - try and stop at just one!

22 comments:

Very Shannon said...

Thanks for the kind words Toni and for joining in!

Jan said...

Great idea and tutorial.

Emily said...

These are so pretty! Love the fun fabrics and the lace together.

Rebecca said...

love it - where'd you get that crocheted lace??

Anonymous said...

I am desperate need of some belts..great tute, your belts are beautiful.

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

So cute, and seriously so easy. I love how you made massive amounts :) No pant falling down this winter, i guess! I happen to have some vintage lace that would work well for this project!

Cullis Family said...

Awesome tutorial Toni! Your belts look great.

Karen Chaplin said...

Hi - Great tutorial I love it and can't wait to make a few but I'm having trouble finding a 22mm bias binding maker does anyone know where I can get one? I've tried Spotlight so far
Happy Sewing

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I love these so, SOOOO much! I bought a lace belt similar at a thrift store. The side has a few buttons and a crochet flower. I'm in love with it. Now I can make some more for gifts- thanks so much! I'll be linking as well.

Meika said...

Oh I totaly love this! I NEED some belts, my pants are always threatening to fall down at the moment! Off to search the stash.

Duabe said...

Genius! Now I know what to do with those piles of lace I've been hoarding for just the right project!

Thank you so much!

Tania said...

wow this is really nice- thanks for sharing!

Sew,ray,me said...

These look STUNNING! Ive been wondering what i can make with lovely bits of lacey ribbon. I can't wait to try out your tutorial, thanks for sharing.

Divya said...

absolutely cute and wonderful..I miss my sewing machine now

Jan said...

really beautiful! I love these belts. I want to make one for my teenage daughter.

Anna M. said...

Cute belts. Just love them.

Anonymous said...

cute and easy. thanks for this tutorial. Pamina (from France) (pamina.over-blog.fr)

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

I LOVE these! So cute and chic, and they look so easy to make! I'm featuring these tomorrow on a lace round up on my blog.

Luscious Lea said...

Did you iron the interfacing to adhere it to the fabric at any point?

Kimara said...

These are great. I love to fact that you can make them for wee ones or moms. I'll be linking to this on Wee Folk Art's Facebook page. Awesome!

Unknown said...

Love this tutorial. I wanted to make some for my granddaughter, but cannot find 1 1/2" lace anywhere in West Texas. Do you know of an online source?
Thanks!
Jeanie Crosthwait

Hanka said...

Wow, wow and wow :) They look fantastic! Thank you for sharing! Great tutorial!

Related Posts with Thumbnails