Saturday 8 October 2011

.Tshirt Dress.

Dresses are still a big deal with Lil.  And she has HEAPS!  The problem is, they get washed and then put into the ironing basket ready to be ironed...and I am not ever good at keeping on top of the ironing.  So her cupboard is usually pretty scarce when it comes to dresses which does not make her a happy camper!

When I was making a new round of Basic Tees for the kids, it dawned on me that a tshirt style dress could be the answer to our problems.  No need to iron and very low maintenance!
This dress was a lot of fun to make, I didn't use a pattern, just quickly drafted something up and it worked a treat.  I did make one mistake...cut a lower front neckline on the back piece - duh!  I didn't have enough fabric to cut another back piece so filled in the gap with a scrap and left raw edges showing.  I quite like the accidental detail it creates at the back.
I decided that 3/4-length sleeves would be more practical for our spring and early summer.  Not quite warm enough every day for short-sleeves and means that we don't have to bother about layering long-sleeved shirts underneath.
 
The dress was initially a little nightie-ish looking so I added a MASSIVE flower applique to the side - using raw-edge applique on knit fabric.  Now I'm in love and dreaming up other colour/applique combinations!
 
Imagine massive cherries, cat faces, speech bubbles, the sun, letters, shapes...yup, there are going to be many more of these popping up for summer!
And little brother had to get in on the action with our photoshoot....

SUPPLIES:

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have some of that pink and purple Gitta sitting on my table, ready top chop into. You have good taste. The dress is lovely - I love the big daisy :)

Crafty Mama said...

Love it Toni! :)

Stacey said...

Great idea & I love the accidental back detail.

Carli said...

Super cool!

Crystal said...

Love this, my daughters are the same and wear t-shirt dresses in summer and winter, depending on the sleeve length. You have got to make a pattern out of this...please !!!

Nell said...

Oh toni you are just amazing the way you whip these things up! I am still scared of stretch sewing (bought the needle for it but still haven't got there!)

Jan Maree said...

Love the dress - your sewing takes me back to all teh sewing i did for my boys when they were little. Now I am starting to sew for my niece. I will be making her some polar fleece windcheaters - do you use rib or do you use the T shirting instead? Some advice would be gratefully received!

Anonymous said...

Cool! Lil looks pretty impressed with it!!

L!$@ said...

Lil is getting so big!! I love that you just whipped it up...oh I need to get into sewing more! Nice work :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails