I was in Spotlight a few weeks ago and had a scrummage through the big sale table. Junk, junk, junk...and a few okayish fabrics at discount price that I picked up. This, being one of them - it's a ponte knit and was reduced to $6 per meter. I'm beginning to get more familiar with different types of knits - this one probably isn't best suited to a cowl-neck top because it is thick and more rigid than most knits, but it was cheap and for $12 I was happy to experiment and didn't really mind if things didn't work out.I'm really quite happy with the finished top though. I do have to fold and set the cowl neck into place as it doesn't really drape nicely on it's own, but it's a nice, sturdy top and washes really well. The pattern is the Renfrew Top. I definitley could have drafted my own, as it is really a basic shape, but sometimes I just want to take the easy option and have it all laid out for me! It was a quick and easy sew, although I did totally confuse myself with the cowl and unpicked it (ugh! I hate unpicking overlocked seams!) about 3 times before I realised I had it right the first time around!
All in all, a successful finish and I've worn the top at least half a dozen times in the last two weeks. I can definitley see a few more of these in the near future as it incorporates two of my favourite styles - 3/4 length sleeves and cowl necks. Next time I'll try with a softer knit, perhaps some Stella in more funky colours!