Tuesday 1 May 2007

Recipe Monday (on Tuesday!)

Recipe Monday has been neglected! Last week it didn't happen because I was in Melbourne and then yesterday I spent the day at Mum and Dad's house with Carli and her family visiting so it is a bit late this week...

This is a hearty, very filling, yummy muesli recipe that my good friend from Sydney, Kelly Peihopa gave me a few years ago. It is really good and very healthy.
 

Home Made Muesli
4c rolled oats
½c sunflower seeds
½c coconut
¾c chopped almonds
1c wheat germ
¾c pitted dates
½c hot water
1 large very ripe banana
1t vanilla
1T maple syrup
Assorted dried fruit

Mix rolled oats, sunflower seeds, coconut, almonds and wheat germ well in a large bowl.

 Soak dates in hot water for about 10 minutes.
Puree soaked dates (and water), banana, vanilla and maple syrup until it becomes a smooth consistency.
Mix pureed mixture through the dry ingredients.
Spread evenly onto 2 baking trays.
Bake 130°C for 1½ hours or until toasted through, stirring often (it will take awhile).
Stir through mixed dried fruit when muesli has cooled.
Store in the fridge in a Tupperware container.

2 comments:

Chelsea Parsons said...

YUm! I might try that one. We get a cereal for the girls called Banana Nut crunch but Im sure your recipe will kill it! My question is.... does it have to be stored in a Tupperware container!!!!!

Amber said...

WOW! I never thought of using dates and bananas to sweeten the granola! Brilliant, as soon as my bananas ripen, I'm making this. My kids would devour it, especially with homemade yogurt. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails