Thursday 26 April 2012

.KCWC - Day 2 & 3 achievements.

Day Two of Kids Clothing Week Challenge.  Super simple, quick and easy - two pairs of leggings for Lil!
These were fun to make and have been on my "to sew" list for a long time.  I can't believe how easy and quick they were - like 15 minutes from cutting to finish!  I'm never buying leggings again!
The pattern I used was based on "Cinnamon Leggings" in the Spring 1/2011 edition of Ottobre magazine.  These leggings were a bit short though so I also used a pair of store-bought leggings that we like and lengthened them and made a nice, narrow hem at the bottom.
I don't think I've mentioned on my blog before how I like to finish the hems or do any exterior stitching on my knit fabric sewing.  I did use a twin needle for awhile, which was great.  But it was fussy too - always having to switch the needle around and making sure that I had two spools of thread plus a bobbin to use each time.  Plus I would break the needles ALL the time and they aren't that cheap to buy!  I was looking through the stitches on my sewing machine and discovered a "triple straight stitch" - it is awesome.  Basically it sews forwards, backwards and then forwards again over every single stitch and while doing so, it creates a stitch that looks like a thick regular stitch but has a good amount of stretch to it too!  I use it all the time now and love it.  Looks much nicer than the other option of zig-zag.

Day Three of KCWC was a fizzler.  But I got to do something waaay cooler...I got to be with Ty and Sam while they had their first baby - Nancy Mae.  She is the most adorable thing EVER (seriously, she is one of "those" perfect looking babies) and the whole experience was absolutely amazing.  Sam was an super star trooper through her 30-hour long marathon labour and I feel so blessed to have been there.  I'll share photos of little Nancy later on, once her Mum and Dad have had a chance to share them first but for now, here's a pic of my brother just a few minutes after Nancy was born - true elation and pride!!!
SUPPLIES:
Stella knit in hot pink
Blue/white knit from Spotlight

3 comments:

The Kings said...

oh wow! You got to be there! That is so cool. I was with Naomi S when she had her first and it was an awesome experience. Nancy is soooo beautiful.

Stacey said...

Welcome to the world to your family's newest addition! Love the name : )

Karen said...

My girls desperately need leggings too - they go through them so quickly - must add them to my list.
I have that stitch but never use it Toni - might try it out now.
I love that pic of your brother - so lovely.
Enjoy the new baby - I wish them every happiness.

Related Posts with Thumbnails