Wednesday 12 January 2011

.Prepare NOW.

Wow!  I am overwhelmed at the amount of emails that continue to fill my inbox.  I am pretty sure that everyone has been replied to now, if not - contact me again.
I know that it is too late for many people to get prepared, but Noami from Seven Cherubs emailed me yesterday with a link to a VERY informative blog post she has put together about being prepared for evacuation or if you are stranded in your home.  As I watch the television, I am seeing supermarkets filled with stressed shoppers, trying to stock up on food, water, torches, batteries, etc. - the essentials that they will need to survive for a short period of time while the flash flooding, heavy rainfalls and evacuations continue.

I would like to say that if I were faced with the same disaster, I would be totally organised and have enough food, water and essential supplies in my home so that I don't have to fight the crowds at the shops.  But I am not.  Our church encourages it's members to prepare themselves for disaster or tough times by having a supply of food and other supplies in storage. This is something that I am still working at, but after seeing the devastation that is sweeping across Queensland, I know that I need to be more diligent.

We are also encouraged to put together a 72-Hour Emergency Kit which holds the essentials that we will need to survive for 72 hours if we had to leave our home.  Naomi shares exactly what you need to do to become organised for a disaster.  If you are in disaster area, it might not be too late to gather a few essential supplies to make your evacuation a little less stressful.  For the rest of us, this is a big wake up call to get organised and be prepared as you never know when disaster will strike.


12 comments:

Renae said...

My husband likes to keep our pantry fully stocked at all times 'just in case'. I used to laugh at him, but seeing the reality of what's happening in Qld has made me realise it's something everyone should be thinking of at all times. Suburban dwellers such as myself tend to think we're pretty safe from natural disasters, but that really isn't the reality.
Thanks for posting this.

Jo-anne Blossy said...

We have our 72 hour kit at the ready just in case we need to leave. Ours includes camping gear if we need it.
We might not be as well stocked as some members but we could survive a while without going to the supermarket if needed.

sevencherubs said...

Thanks so much for sharing this and I so hope we can help some one out with this information. Naomi x

Unknown said...

I've realised that even though we may not actually be in the disaster zone, we can still be affected by supply issues.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

I read the 7 cherubs post, it's really fantastic. We've had to do it several times when living in the tropics & staring down cyclones. My children don't like anything from a tin, so we have to work around their fresh food tastebuds!!
I'm all ready to go with the auction & raffle, love it, i sewed all night & blogged about joining in!! Love Posie

Irene ~ RE~VINTAGED said...

I'd like to hold an Auction on my blog too. Can you provide me with details thankyou :)

The Bartons said...

Tones its crazy at the shops worse than christmas the lines at the woolies around the corner are out the door! im sooo grateful we have loads of food! rice, tuna, pudding supplies to keep us going if we need too! to think i was going to get rid of all our food storage before we moved! so grateful i didn't!!! xx

Andrea said...

I am currently sitting in a car on the Toowoomba range trying to get home after being stranded here for 3 days. We missed being swept away by minutes. We live just up the road from Grantham and see it from our street. We have friends in the town some made to their rooftops, sadly some didn't. There was no time to grab anything the water came down in no time. Our friends punched a hole the roof to get out. It's so easy for some to say how they would act, wait until you have truly experienced the full force of mother nature. I am hoping my sons will be safe stranded in Brisbane after organizing uni timetables and expecting to be home around mid afternoon.

Laura (TLN) said...

Great initiative - supported and shared: http://creativityunmasked.blogspot.com/2011/01/flood-support.html

Pam said...

Hi Toni. Can you put me down for holding an auction please!? No idea what I'll put up, but feel that I need to help some way. Thanks for what you're doing here. It's a brilliant thing!! :)) x

kate said...

Hi, i really want to contribute by bidding on some auctions i think it is a wonderful idea! i was wondering if you are going to put a list up of the auctions as i dont want to miss out!!

Cheers! and well done again

Seaweed and Raine said...

Toni, do you think that Iphone socks like the one I made in this post would sell?
http://seaweedandraine.blogspot.com/2011/01/christmas-2010-run-down.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails